Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) - Treatment Procedure and Cost
- Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) is one of the infertility treatments
- It has high success rates and good live birth rates
- The procedure also involves laparoscopy surgery for zygote transfer
With the evolution of medical technology, many advanced techniques are being adopted by doctors to treat diseases. Infertility is a disease which has been affecting people around the world for ages. With technological evolution, the field of infertility treatment received advanced infertility management techniques under Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).
One of the most effective and commonly used fertility treatments nowadays is In vitro Fertilization (IVF). IVF treatment can be used to treat a variety of infertility issues related to men and women fertility. However, if a situation comes where a more advanced technique is needed than doctors advice treating infertility with Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) method.
People often get confused between In vitro Fertilization (IVF) and ZIFT. It can also be difficult to choose one of the treatments without proper knowledge. In this article, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions by people who are going to have ZIFT as a part of their infertility treatment.
In this article
- 1.What is Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
- 2.What is the procedure of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
- 3.What is the difference between Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) and In vi
- 4.What are the advantages of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
- 5.What are the disadvantages of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
- 6.What is the cost of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) in India?
What is Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) is a type of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) used to treat infertility. It is a modified form of IVF. You cannot go through this treatment if you have blocked fallopian tubes. This procedure is almost similar to the IVF treatment and it has a good success rate.
ZIFT can be used to treat unexplained infertility, infertility due to ovulation issues and it can also be to get pregnant if your husband has a low sperm count. ZIFT can also be used in combination with Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) for a better chance at conception.
What is the procedure of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
The process of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) takes about 4 to 5 weeks to complete. The procedure of the treatment is mentioned below.
- At the beginning of the test, you will be given medications as a part of ovulation stimulation. Because of the medications, your ovaries will produce multiple eggs during ovulation which will be taken out later for fertilization.
- The next step is the egg retrieval process. In this procedure, the eggs are retrieved from the body using the aspiration procedure.
- Along with the eggs, the sperm of your partner will also be retrieved for the process of fertilization.
- The eggs are then fertilized in the laboratory with the help of sperm. The process takes about 4 to 5 days.
- Once the fertilized eggs form a zygote (a combined cell formed by the union of sperm and egg) they are transferred into the fallopian tubes of the women through laparoscopy surgery .
- The zygote then passes through the fallopian tube to the uterus of the woman and starts developing and she gets pregnant if the procedure is successful.
What is the difference between Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) and In vitro Fertilization (IVF)?
People usually get confused between ZIFT and IVF. Both are infertility treatments and maybe suggested after an infertility diagnosis. As mentioned earlier, ZIFT is a modified technique of IVF.
Most of the process of IVF and ZIFT is the same. The difference between the two procedures is that, in ZIFT the transfer of a zygote (which will later develop into an embryo in the woman’s womb) is transferred into the fallopian tube through a laparoscopy surgery. However, in IVF the fertilized egg is transferred only after it turns into an embryo. Also, here the embryo is transferred into the uterus (womb).
What are the advantages of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
The advantages of ZIFT are:
- This technique can be useful for couples suffering from extreme infertility conditions.
- This technique is much more reliable than that of a Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT) (an ART technique in which the egg is retrieved from the ovaries of a woman and placed in one of the fallopian tubes along with sperm for fertilization. So the fertilization in GIFT takes place in the woman's body) because in this technique the doctors confirm that the egg is fertilized before placing it into the fallopian tube.
- The implantation rates of ZIFT is better than that of IVF because there is a better synchronization between the embryo and the uterus (this is because the embryo forms inside the body in ZIFT) 
- Before transferring the zygote, the doctors make sure that they choose the best zygote from the bunch so that there is no problem in the development of the zygote once it is inside the mother’s uterus.
- As compared to other treatments, many women feel that ZIFT is more natural as the zygote itself travels from the fallopian tube to the womb.
What are the disadvantages of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)?
The disadvantages of ZIFT are:
- This technique will not work if you have any problems in the fallopian tubes.
- In the uterus, the zygotes can form multiple embryos which can result in twins or triplets.
- There is also a danger of having an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy where the fetus starts developing outside the uterus, mostly in a fallopian tube). Ectopic pregnancy can be dangerous and it is important to consult a doctor in such a case.
- This treatment is costly as compared to other treatments like IVF.
- Very few infertility clinics perform this procedure.
- The fertility medications given at the beginning of the treatment can make the body produce many eggs which can result in hormonal changes in the body.
What is the cost of Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) in India?
The cost of ZIFT in India ranges between Rs. 10 Lakh to Rs. 15 Lakh. However, the rates may vary depending on the clinic, the doctors and the city of treatment. There are many other factors which may result in some increase in the total cost of ZIFT in India like the cost of some extra medications or test done before the beginning of the test, the consultation fees of the doctor, travelling expenses, treatment of any complications during or after the treatment, etc.
Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) is a modified form of IVF treatment. This treatment can be used to conceive if you or your partner are suffering from infertility. Even though ZIFT is an expensive treatment, it has a good success rate as compared to other treatments.
Was this article helpful? Tap on heart to say yes
List of ReferencesHide
Michigan Medicine. “Gamete and Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT and ZIFT) for Infertility”. www.uofmhealth.org, 29 May 2019.
Itai Gat, Jacob Levron, et al. “Should zygote intrafallopian transfer be offered to all patients with unexplained repeated in-vitro fertilization cycle failures?”. J Ovarian Res. 2014; 7: 7, PMID: 24444039.
Last updated on: : 29 Sep 2020
explore more within our blogs
Top 10 Best IVF Doctors in Bangalore with High Success Rate
Top 10 Best Surrogacy Centers in Bangalore with High Success Rate
Myths and Facts of Invitro Fertilization (IVF)
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and Infertility
Best IVF Doctors in Kozhikode with High Success Rate