Increasing sperm count to boost male fertility at home
- Decreasing sperm count is a sign of fertility issue in men
- Low sperm count is one of the side effects of the hectic lifestyle we live today
- There are many treatments available which can help you maintain your sperm count
Infertility is a global problem, about 70 million worldwide have been affected by some kind of fertility issue. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimated that about 9% of the couples in the world are affected by some sort of fertility issue and out of those, male infertility factor is the cause of 50% cases .
Out of all the male fertility issues, sperm quality is one of the main factors which affects many men. It has been reported that there has been a global decline in sperm quality in men . So if you are having problems with having a baby, then there can be a chance that it is because of your declining sperm quality.
There are many factors that affect the overall sperm quality in men. One of the most important factors impacting fertility in men is our changing lifestyle. But since it is not always convenient to turn your life upside down and change everything, people usually look for other ways to solve their problems. One of the solutions is to reach out to a doctor and have yourself checked. If there is in fact an issue with your sperm quality then you can start a treatment for it. Another option is that you can take measures and try some home remedies or supplements to try to enhance your sperm quality at home.
In this article
- 1.What are the factors that affect sperm count?
- 2.What are the home remedies for increasing sperm count?
- 3.What are the ayurvedic solutions for increasing low sperm count?
- 4.What are the essential acids and vitamins to eat to increase sperm count?
- 5.What are some of the tips to maintain your sperm count at home?
What are the factors that affect sperm count?
Your sperm has to be healthy enough in order to fertilize the egg of a woman successfully. If you are not able to get your partner pregnant even after trying for months, then there could be a problem with your sperm quality. One of the important features of healthy sperm is “sperm count”. Normally, the sperm count of a man is about 15 million sperm per millilitre of semen. Having a low sperm count can be a reason for your fertility issues. And the factors that may be affecting your sperm count can be:
Medical causes of low sperm count:
- Infections in or around the reproductive area
- Varicocele (swelling in the veins which can drain the testicles)
- Hormone imbalances
- Ejaculation problems
- Certain medications which can impact negatively on your sperm
- Any prior surgery
Environmental causes of low sperm count:
- Coming in contact with industrial chemicals like paint, herbicides, pesticides, etc
- Exposure to heavy metals like lead
- Exposure to radiation and x-rays
- Overheating of the testes due to hot baths, saunas, etc
Lifestyle causes of low sperm count:
- Drug use
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Emotional stress
What are the home remedies for increasing sperm count?
One of the easiest and most convenient ways for increasing your sperm count is to use the superfoods and spices around the kitchen. Here are some of them that you can use:
- Fenugreek: Studies have found that fenugreek seeds can be helpful in increasing sperm count . There are many supplements available in the market of fenugreek. However, another option is to soak a spoonful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach daily. This drink will help increase your sperm count and boost your fertility.
- Maca Root: Maca root has also been found to be highly efficient in increasing the sperm parameters like sperm count . Powdered maca root can be found in many ayurvedic outlets. You can mix the powder in water and drink it to increase your sperm count.
- Garlic: Garlic is known to have a good impact on male fertility. Eating garlic maintains the overall reproductive health of men. It is good to have 2 to 4 garlic cloves in a day to keep yourself healthy.
- Mucuna Pruriens or Velvet Bean: Mucuna pruriens has been used as a part of Indian medicine for ages. It is known for its beneficial effects which also include boosting male fertility. It has antioxidant properties that can help keep the sperm healthy.
What are the ayurvedic solutions for increasing low sperm count?
There are many ayurvedic solutions for increasing low sperm count as well. You can try the following herbs for boosting your fertility.
- Long Leaved Barleria (Talamkhana): Long leaved barleria or talamkhana in Hindi is an ayurvedic medicine. The seeds of this herb are known to treat infertility in men and also increase sperm count. The powder of its seeds can be found in any ayurvedic or herbal store. The dosage of this herb should be taken according to the instructions given by a doctor.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is a popular ayurvedic medicine. Every Indian has heard of ashwagandha and may have even used it for treating some sort of condition. But only a few know that it can also be used to treat male infertility. This herb is being studied for boosting and promoting reproductive health in men. There are studies that show that taking ashwagandha daily can increase sperm count in men. There are many supplements of ashwagandha available in the market which can be taken after consulting a doctor.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is a superfood high in vitamin C. It protects sperm from free radicals. It has also been found to help increase sperm count as well. Asparagus is a vegetable and can be eaten by making a curry out of it. It is said that eating asparagus can increase sperm production. Hence, there are many supplements of this herb available as well.
- Shilajit: Shilajit is an ayurvedic herb which has been used for years to treat fertility related issues. This herb is also said to be really beneficial in increasing sperm count. It is also said that taking shilajit with milk boosts not only sperm count but also sperm quality. Hence you can take its supplements along with milk after consulting a doctor regarding the dosage.
What are the essential acids and vitamins to eat to increase sperm count?
There are many essential vitamins and essential acids that are important to take in order to maintain your reproductive health. Most of the time these acids and vitamins can be found in foods. But with our changing lifestyle sometimes we don’t eat enough of the foods that contain these vitamins and acids. Hence, there are supplements for them available in the market as well. You can always choose the option that suits you the best.
- D-Aspartic Acid: Amino acids are important in our body to maintain reproductive health. One such acid is D-Aspartic acid which is involved in testosterone production as well as its release in the body. D-aspartic acid may be able to boost fertility in men. There are studies suggesting that taking D-aspartic supplements can help increase sperm count and sperm motility.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is considered to be one of the most important vitamins to keep sperm healthy. It is a valuable antioxidant which is known to maintain the health of sperm and protect it from any damage. Studies suggest that taking vitamin C supplements can help increase sperm count and also increase sperm quality.
- Vitamin D: Researchers have found that men who are deficient in Vitamin D have significantly low sperm count and low sperm motility . Hence it is necessary to maintain vitamin D levels in your body. You can go for food that is rich in vitamin D or take vitamin D supplements.
- Zinc: It has been found in many studies that zinc deficiency may result in low testosterone levels and poor sperm quality in men. Apart from this, taking zinc supplementation has been associated with an increase in sperm count in men with low levels of zinc in their body.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is also essential to maintain your reproductive health. Lower levels of vitamin A in your body may cause a decrease in sperm count. Hence, it is a good choice to keep eating vitamin A rich food like carrot or banana daily. You can also go for vitamin A supplements but make sure to have a consultation with your doctor first.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Omega 3 fatty acids are essential amino acids for maintaining sperm health, sperm count and sperm motility. The supplements of this acid have shown positive results in increasing the sperm count in men. Hence, you may try its supplements to increase your sperm count, however, a consultation with a doctor about the correct dosage according to your condition is advised.
What are some of the tips to maintain your sperm count at home?
If you are worried about having a low sperm count, then there are some lifestyle changes that you can do in order to maintain your sperm count and sperm health. They are:
- Maintain a daily diet routine with fruits and vegetables
- Keep your weight in check (overweight can cause fertility issues)
- Introduce exercise in your daily routine
- Try to stay away from stress-causing situations
- Don’t keep a laptop on your lap, always keep it over a table when you work
- Don’t keep your mobile phone in your pant’ pocket for a longer period of time
- Refrain from using lubricant during sexual intercourse
- Refrain from eating soya milk as it has negative effects on sperm quality
- Try reducing your caffeine intake
- Refrain from hot baths and sauna
- Avoid heavy drinking and smoking
Our daily lifestyle has a severe impact on our reproductive health, something we usually don’t realise until it’s too late. Hence, before you can even be diagnosed with a fertility issue, it is always better to keep a healthy lifestyle to avoid such issues. Eating lots of vegetables and fruits and avoiding smoking and drinking can go a long way. Apart from this, if you do have low sperm count, there are many supplements and other ayurvedic and herbal treatments available in the market which can help you treat the issues at the comfort of your own home.
Was this article helpful? Tap on heart to say yes
List of ReferencesHide
Jonathan Fainberg and James A. Kashanian. “Recent advances in understanding and managing male infertility”. Version 1. F1000Res. 2019; 8: F1000 Faculty Rev-670, PMID: 31143441.
Damayanthi Durairajanayagam. “Lifestyle causes of male infertility”. Arab J Urol. 2018 Mar; 16(1): 10–20, PMID: 29713532.
Anuj Maheshwari, Narsingh Verma, et al. “Efficacy of FurosapTM, a novel Trigonella foenum-graecum seed extract, in Enhancing Testosterone Level and Improving Sperm Profile in Male Volunteers”. Int J Med Sci. 2017; 14(1): 58–66, PMID: 28138310.
Ingrid Melnikovova, Tomas Fait, et al. “Effect of Lepidium meyenii Walp. on Semen Parameters and Serum Hormone Levels in Healthy Adult Men: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study”. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 2015: 324369, PMID: 26421049.
Gianmartin Cito, Andrea Cocci, et al. “Vitamin D and Male Fertility: An Updated Review”. World J Mens Health. 2020 Apr; 38(2): 164–177, PMID: 31190482.
Last updated on: : 07 Oct 2020
explore more within our blogs
Myths and Facts of Invitro Fertilization (IVF)
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and Infertility
Best IVF Doctors in Kozhikode with High Success Rate
6 Best Natural Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
Importance of Vitamin D in IVF Procedure